The Farthest Shore: available now
In February 2019, award-winning writer Alex Roddie left his online life behind when he set out to walk 300 miles through the Scottish Highlands, seeking solitude and answers. In leaving the chaos of the internet behind for a month, he hoped to learn how it was truly affecting him – or if he should look elsewhere for the causes of his anxiety.
The Farthest Shore is the story of Alex’s solo trek along the remote Cape Wrath Trail. As he journeyed through a vanishing winter, Alex found answers to his questions, learnt the nature of true silence, and discovered frightening evidence of the threats faced by Scotland’s wild mountain landscape.
Wanderlust Europe: The Great European Hike
Published by gestalten, September 2020
Wanderlust Europe, created by German publisher gestalten and co-edited by Alex Roddie, showcases Europe’s most awe-inspiring walking and backpacking routes. Offering expert knowledge on how best to experience the wild outdoors, this beautiful large-format book combines first-hand tips with informative maps and an array of spectacular photography. Contributing photographers include long-distance hiker Colin Ibbotson, professional landscape photographer Lizzie Shepherd, guidebook writer Paddy Dillon, established TGO contributors Chris Townsend, David Lintern and James Roddie, and many more. Alex Roddie provided many of his own photographs for the project.
The routes include some of the continent’s finest and most ambitious long-distance trails, including the Nordkalottleden, Tour of Monte Rosa, and Cape Wrath Traill.
Buy the book
Direct from gestalten
Order it from your local independent bookshop
Amazon UK (if you really must)
- 2021-08-21: Twenty years as a writer: a first look at The Farthest Shore
- 2021-08-16: A Highland book launch for The Farthest Shore
- 2021-07-23: Featured on Siren Radio podcast
- 2021-07-07: The Farthest Shore is available to pre-order
- 2021-05-20: A cover design for The Farthest Shore
- 2021-05-15: What’s in a cover design?
- 2021-03-13: The Farthest Shore: publishing update
- 2020-10-14: Wanderlust Europe: an interview with Alex Roddie
- 2020-10-06: Wanderlust Europe now available on sale from Sidetracked
- 2020-09-15: Introducing Wanderlust Europe: Europe’s best trails
- 2020-08-16: Writing (two) books during the pandemic
- 2019-10-17: I have signed a book deal with Vertebrate Publishing